Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Fascination

I love music, and I find sound just fascinating. To be specific I find sound resonance fascination. Sound resonance is when the natural frequency of something’s existence is fed into it, and that makes it become amplified. The most famous event of this happening that I know of is when a bridge in the 50s or 60s was experiencing some extreme wind gusts, and started tossing and turning. The frequency of this disruption matched the natural resonance of the bridge, and not long after words, the bridge failed, and sent dozens of people into the water below.

Another well-known experience of natural resonance is when an opera singer can shatter glass with only the power of their voice! The trick to it is not so much how loud they can sing, but how long they can hold the same EXACT note that matches the resonance of the glass! The volume of their singing will only speed up the process.
 
One of the main reasons that sound resonance is so fascinating to me is that it has the potential to destroy ANYTHING! A small device the size of a person’s shoe can destroy a sky scraper, in the right conditions, if the correct frequency is applied! And its destructive force is not limited to objects; People have a natural resonance. In fact, if you are exposed to a frequency of 7Hz for a minimum of 4 constant hours, it will begin to have repercussions! That’s because 7Hz is a person’s natural resonance. If exposed for 6-8 hours, death can occur.
 
I have had personal experiences with sound resonance.  When I was 16 years old, I got my first truck, a Dodge D150. My dad had pieced it together with donor parts from another truck of the same model and same year. It was gorgeous. As part of my birthday present, my dad had installed a sound system in it for me. I had a 300 watt amp, a 12” subwoofer, two 3x6 speakers, and two 4x4 speakers. I remember when I would drive to school, I liked to listen to “Are You Gonna Be My Girl” by Jet. When the into bass tempo would start up, I would stare, amazed, at my solid back glass because the bass was so close to its natural resonance, that It shook the glass. It would shake the glass so much that it rendered my Rear view mirror useless because of the constantly changing way the light would show through the glass.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment